The Making of a Mother
- Valerie Davis Raskin
- 256 pagina's
The Making of a Mother
Kijk voor 'The Making of a Mother' bij de volgende boekwinkels:
What makes a good mother? Are some women just born naturally maternal, or do mothers discover that part of themselves once they have a child? Now a renowned expert on the subject–and herself a mother of three–addresses the unspoken worries and fears that accompany motherhood and shares the reassuring message that every mother learns "on the job."
Dr. Valerie Davis Raskin has worked with more than four hundred mothers in twenty years of clinical practice and has discovered that mothering is just as developmental as childhood. Dr. Raskin identifies the nine challenges facing mothers from their child's infancy to young adulthood, pivotal moments that put mothers to the test time and again–and yet from which they can emerge truly rewarded.
• IDENTITY: How to gain confidence during those overwhelming first months after you've given birth or adopted, but don't yet "feel" like a mother.
• UNLOVING MOMENTS: Every mother's secret guilt–learn to accept those not-so-precious moments when you don't like the child you love so dearly.
• HONORING THE FATHER: Tips for helping Dad stop feeling like a third wheel and bond with his child (and receive attention from you!).
• SEPARATION: How to maintain a positive outlook on your child's milestones, from the first day of preschool to packing him off to sleepaway camp.
• SETTING LIMITS: How to put your foot down, even when your child kicks, screams, or cries.
• IMPERFECT INSTITUTIONS: How to cope when your child does not have the best teacher or the most inspiring coach, or faces a less than fair grading system.
• REVISED DREAMS: Your cute five-year-old in a pink tutu has no rhythm. Your nine-year-old cannot catch a ball. Learn to modify your dreams for your child–and follow your child's dreams instead.
• ADVERSITY: You can't keep your child in a plastic bubble, but you can take a deep breath, relax, and be there for her when life gets tough.
• SAYING GOODBYE: Discover the joys of loving your adult child while not living under the same roof.
This wonderfully anecdotal, engaging, and accessible book is nothing less than an essential training manual for mothers of all ages. The bottom line: Just because motherhood is sometimes difficult, confusing, intense, sleepless, and frustrating, doesn't mean mothers aren't doing it right!
- Auteur : Valerie Davis Raskin
- ISBN : 9780307487926
- Taal : Engels
- Uitgever : Ballantine Books
- Uitvoering : E-book
- Verschijningsdatum : 2008-12-18
- Aantal pagina's : 256
Anderen lazen ook
Mothering the Self
The Making of a Mom
A Mother’s Lament
Know the Mother
Dayna M. Kurtz